Based out of Santa Cruz, Ca. Chump Magic‘s Custom Sticker designs always catch our collective robotic eyes. Their thick lines and high impact graphics really lend themselves perfectly to the silkscreen medium and the end result is always a bold, iconic sticker. We love printing CM’s Banana Monsters and Menacing Octopus Pirates, so we decided to sit down and ask Chump Magic some questions.
Read the Interview below and then get yourself some Free Chump Magic Stickers!
1. what makes a good sticker design? A good sticker design to me is just something I enjoy and want to share or show off with pride. I think any sticker that makes me smile, happy or laugh is a success too.
2. what do you do with stickers anyways ? I try to get two of each sticker I like- one to collect and one to use. My collection keeps fading though as I keep using my stickers. I put the ones I really like on things I plan to keep for awhile (laptop, record player/ speakers, desk, file cabinet, et cetera…). My “warehouse,” which is just a massive wardrobe, is starting to get a real nice coat of stickers that I have collected over the years.
3. if you could hand one of your stickers to any one person, who would it be ?
I would give a sticker to myself when I was twelve years old. I was always somewhat discouraged from pursuing a future in drawing or doing ink based art, mainly because it was hard to make a living and the larger company jobs seemed more like you were working an assembly line, instead of being a creative artist that handled every detail of a job from start to finish. As a result, I feel like I took a huge detour in life and started 10 years later than I should have (if not more). If I handed my 12 year old self a sticker, with my art and logo/ website on the back, I’m sure it would of blown my mind.
4. silkscreen or digital ? I don’t know what it is, but each new piece I screen print brings me great joy. The high never seems to wear off, and I really like to be more crafty when possible.
5. mp3 or vinyl ? I’ll listen to mp3/ CDs/ radio when I want to listen to music as a background element (while working, driving or whatever). Also, I do love my mix tapes. I’ll listen to vinyl often as a main source of entertainment; when I want to listen to a solid album and give it the respect and attention it deserves. Plus, I do have that collector characteristic, so hunting and collecting for vinyl is fun too.
6. what is the last book you read ? “The Running Man” …but that was so long ago. I don’t read too many books. I like comic books/ graphic novels. “BB Wolf and the 3 LPs” was the most recent one I read, but I am also reading a cool series called “East of West.”
7. tell me 3 artists you like Jim and Jimbo Phillips– Growing up in Santa Cruz, Jim Phillips’ work was everywhere. It still is today. He is probably best known for the Santa Cruz Screaming Hand. His son Jimbo, similar but different artwork, has been rocking some awesome artwork since my High School years if not much sooner.
Quinton Hoover– My brother idolized this guy growing up and collect his stuff. He grew on my too. I always like his take on fantasy art, and he was also one of the main reasons I started including watercolors into my original works. Sadly, he passed away not too long ago.
Matt Groening– What can I say, I like cartoons and cartoons had a huge impact on my style. There are a bunch of legendary artist/ animators, but I feel I have to include Matt Groening and the Simpsons since I grew up with the show, and it has been around almost all my life.
8. tell me 3 websites you like
I’m not sure. I use a lot of sites, but I am not sure I enjoy them. I do Facebook and all that jive, but I only started that for work and networking. Rarely do I visit the web for entertainment or to kill time. The online world is usually work related for me… with a side of viewing boobs and playing video games.
9. what would you like 1000 of ? I’m a man of variety, so 1,000 of one thing seems too much. I guess I’ll just take 1,000 hundred dollar bills (or bricks of gold if you got ‘em), so I can enjoy a variety of things without worrying about spending too much. Plus, I would be able to draw a lot more which would make me happy.
10. what are you working on now / what’s next for you ? I just started a new company, got all my paperwork out of the way, and have been taking the selling my stickers, art and other goods a bit more serious. I am still mainly local sales, but I am creating an online shop which I plan to launch early 2016. I do have some stickers available now, but that is mainly to do further testing to make sure everything runs smooth. If people want to order something, they can, but just be aware the store is in beta https://www.chumpmagic.com.
Now About Those Free Stickers! (All You Gotta Do is 2 Things…)
1.Leave a comment below! Then share this post with your friends. 2. Send an S.A.S.E.* to this address and we’ll drop one in the mail for you. Legend has it that decorated envelopes will receive extras…Check out Chump Magic on Instagram and buy some of his awesome art https://www.chumpmagic.com. And make sure to Share this Interview and leave a comment below!
PO BOX 1045
Soquel, Ca. 95073* What ‘s an S.A.S.E. !? It’s a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope. Simply send us 2 envelopes. One is addressed to us. Inside that envelope is another envelope, addressed to you, with a stamp on it.